ScienceROCKS! (age 19+)
7 pm to midnight
"Just the Hits"
with very Special Guests:
Stax Legend Steve Cropper & Jonny Rosch
ScienceROCKS! transforms the Science Centre into a music playground, where adults 19+ can rock out to live performances, engage in innovative presentations, explore the new exhibition The Science of Rock ‘N’ Roll and enjoy ROLLING STONES AT THE MAX on the IMAX® screen. Each evening event rocks a different theme, and all are accompanied by great food, cocktails and rock-it science!
- Founding member of Booker T. and the MG's
- Songwriting partner of Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd and a dozen others
- Co-writer of (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay, Knock on Wood, and In the Midnight Hour
- Member of the original Blues Brothers Band
- His signature guitar, the Cropper Classic, for Peavey, is one of the most highly respected and coveted guitars made anywhere
- In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine readers voted him among the Top 100 Guitar Players of All Time
- One of the most sought-after guitarists - most recently showcased on the latest Paul Simon, Ringo Starr, Buddy Guy (Heavy Love) and Johnny Lang (Wander This World) albums. He also contributed his talents to efforts from Elton John and Steppenwolf.
- Performing and recording as a vocalist, keyboardist, harmonica player and songwriter for more than thirty years
- Plays guitar too!
- Respected New York City session musician
- Lead singer/front man for the legendary original Blues Brothers Band
- has recorded or performed with Joe Walsh, Phoebe Snow, Donald Fagen from Steely Dan, Bo Diddley, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Cornell DuPree, Tommy James and the Shondells, Joan Jett, Billy Squier, Steve “The Colonel” Cropper, Eddie “Knock On Wood” Floyd, The James Gang, John Oates, Jonathan Edwards, Robert Randolph, Henry Butler, Paul Shaffer, Bernie Williams, Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar, and numerous other recording artists.
What’s happening at the event?
- Rock out with very special guests Stax Records guitar legend Steve "The Colonel" Cropper and Blues Brothers lead singer Jonny "The Rock & Roll Doctor" Rosch
- Watch the Rolling Stones in concert on the IMAX screen at 7:30 pm.**
- Drum, strum, and sing with your friends in The Science of Rock ‘N’ Roll exhibition.
- Transform into your inner rock star with the help of The Beauty Team – onsite stylists who will polish up your image with complimentary hair and make-up.
- Play Johann Sebastian Joust with your friends in the Great Hall.
- Ukulele Jam! Whether you already play, or just want to learn a few chords, be a part of the fun and strum along with our ukulele orchestra.
- Feeling creative? Convert some strings, a stick and a box into an instrument, and discover the science of guitar construction as you build a Cigar Box Guitar that you can take home. Limited capacity.
- Play an instrument? Go beyond plastic video game guitars and drums to perform onstage with the League of Rock band, or just sit back and enjoy the performance.
- Practice your rock star moves with the video game Rock BandTM. Now with extended hours to play!
- Get your groove on with booty-shaking tunes from DJ Misty.
- Curious about the Anatomy of a Hit Song? Join the experts to dissect songs from rock, pop, hip hop, and jazz to find out what makes a song reach the top of the charts. Alan Cross, Dalton Higgins and Orin Isaacs reveal the secrets of songs that are crowd favourites.
- Grab your virtual lab coat for Music Dissection Lab: Be A Producer. Explore the key differences between a variety of genres and learn how producers balance the mix to create a hit song with a live band.
- Check out the AstraZeneca Human Edge hall and explore the Weston Family Innovation Centre.
- Enjoy a beer, wine, or beverage with delicious treats such as Iggy Popcorn and Fleetwood Mac & Cheese.*
- Plus so much more!
*Refreshments available for purchase.
**Please note: There is limited capacity for the ROLLING STONES AT THE MAX movie. The movie starts at 7:30pm and entrance to ScienceROCKS! ticket-holders is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Promotional Partner: High Visibility
Top Photos credit: Grant W. Martin Photography
The Science of Rock ‘N’ Roll
What’s your ROCKQUATION?
Download the app and reveal your inner rock star persona!