- Qualifying for School Admission
- Planning Your Date
- Planning Your Arrival and Departure
- Maps of the Ontario Science Centre
- Planning Supervision
- Code of Conduct
- Storing Belongings
- Planning Lunch
- Booking Your Visit
- Confirming Your Visit
- Paying for Your Visit
- Preparing for a Successful Visit
To qualify for Canadian School Group admission rates you must:
- Represent a Child Care Centre licensed with the Ministry of Children and Youth Services or represent a full-time Canadian educational institution that is not post-secondary and is registered with a provincial Ministry of Education and that is teaching courses/classes from the K-12 Provincial Curriculum.
- Visit on a weekday during the school year, excluding school holidays*
- Pay for a minimum of 10 students for Exhibit Hall only visits
- Pay for a minimum of 15 students per scheduled School Program / IMAX Film
- Bring and pay for the required minimum number of supervisors
* December 23, 2013 to January 3, 2014 and March 10 to 14, 2014.
Self-guided Exhibit Hall visits can be booked anytime; however, IMAX Films, School Programs and Special Exhibitions often book to capacity. We recommend that you book several weeks prior to the date of your visit. All bookings must be received by 4:00 p.m. Wednesday of the week prior to your requested date of visit.
The IBM School and Tour Group Entrance and reception desk open at 9:15 a.m. Exhibit halls are open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily.
We assign the times of your programs and films visits based on the arrival and departure times you provide. Your first program or film visit may start as soon as 30 minutes after the arrival time you provide. Please provide realistic arrival and departure times. Missed programs cannot be rescheduled.
You can also tour the Science Centre without even leaving your computer. Take the virtual tour!
The Ontario Science Centre offers FREE bus parking in our South Parking Lot. Download bus parking map.
A minimum number of supervisors is required as follows:
Groups will not be admitted to programs or films without supervisors.
Space Missions require a minimum of 2 supervisors.
Supervisors are required to:
- Remain with their students at all times
- Be responsible for discipline at all times
If a group becomes disorderly during a program, film or in an exhibit hall, the group’s supervisor will be asked to remove the group immediately.
There is no admission charge for required supervisors up to a maximum ratio of 1:2, supervisors to students, for visits without an IMAX film. Additional adults will be charged at the general admission rate.
The Provincial Code of Conduct applies to schools visiting the Ontario Science Centre and Shoppers Drug Mart® OMNIMAX® Theatre. Please remind your students that the following conduct is not acceptable:
Please remind your students that the following conduct is not acceptable:
- Loud, profane and inappropriate language
- Sexual harassment
- Racial and ethnic discrimination
- Disrespectful or physically aggressive behaviour
- Conduct which is harmful to the exhibits and displays, or disruptive to other visitors
- Food or drink outside the designated eating areas
Please ensure that your students and all supervisors are aware of the Code of Conduct.
Lockers are available in the reception area at a cost of $1.00 (coin) each. One locker can hold up to 10 coats. Lunches are stored free of charge.
The RBC Foundation Lunch Room, with seating for 150 students, is available on a first-come-first-served basis for groups with bag lunches. It is located near the lockers and group reception desk. Additional seating is available in the Procter & Gamble Great Hall outdoors in TELUSCAPE and other designated areas.
The Valley Restaurant is a large cafeteria within the Ontario Science Centre that operates on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved. Please allow a minimum of 45 minutes for lunch if you plan to go to the cafeteria to purchase food. Compass Food Services also offers lunch voucher packages for groups, including take-out box lunches. To arrange, call 416-696-3230 extension #1 or download the Group Lunch Voucher Order Form.
Back to top
SCHOOL VISIT RATES 2013-14
|Visit Combinations||Price||Minimum Charges|
|per student||per adult|
|Exhibit Hall Visit (self-guided) only||$6||FREE||$60|
|Exhibit Hall Visit + 45-minute Program||$10||FREE||$150|
|Exhibit Hall Visit + 90-minute or Space Mission Program||$15||FREE||$225|
|Exhibit Hall Visit + 6-hour DNA program||$25||FREE||$500|
|IMAX Film only||$6||$6||$96|
|IMAX Film + Exhibit Hall Visit||$11||$6||$171|
|IMAX Film + Exhibit Hall Visit + 45-minute Program||$16||$6||$246|
|IMAX Film + Exhibit Hall Visit + 90-minute or Space Mission program||$21||$6||$321|
|Add another 45-minute Program||Add $5||FREE||Add $75|
|Add another 90-minute or Space Mission Program||Add $10||FREE||Add $150|
|Add another IMAX Film||Add $6||Add $6||Add $96|
|Locker, coin-operated (holds up to 10 coats)||$1 / locker|
|Lockers for lunches||FREE|
|School bus parking||FREE|
- Payment is required for a minimum of 10 students for Exhibit Hall only.
- Payment is required for a minimum of 15 students for each School Program / IMAX Film scheduled for your group except for DNA "Fingerprinting", which requires payment for a minimum of 20 students.
- No payment is required for supervisors up to a maximum ratio of 1:2 (supervisors to students), for visits without an IMAX film. Additional adults will need to purchase their own admission and IMAX tickets at the general admission rate.
- Prices include all applicable taxes. Prices and policies are subject to change without notice. School Group rates are already discounted. No additional coupons, passes or membership discounts apply.
- Admission Fees are waived for a Support Person accompanying a student with a disability. For more information on Accessibility at the Ontario Science Centre click here.
To book your visit:
- Fill-out the online booking form
- Download our printable Canadian School Booking Form.
- Tour Operators: Please download our special Canadian School Booking Form for Tour Operators
Email: School Bookings
Due to the volume of calls and the amount of information required, we are unable to process booking requests over the phone.
Ontario Science Centre
770 Don Mills Road
Toronto ON M3C 1T3
Your visit is not confirmed until you have received a written confirmation letter. If you have not received this letter within one week of sending in your application form or calling to modify your booking, please call School Bookings at 416-696-3140.
Please bring a school cheque, major credit card or cash for the full amount on the day of your visit. School cheques should be made payable to Ontario Science Centre. Personal cheques are not accepted. Do not send payment with your application form.
NOTE: For each School Program/ Imax Film scheduled for your group, you must pay for a minimum 15 students except for DNA “Fingerprinting”, which requires payment for a minimum of 20 students.
Before your visit:
- Check that all details on your booking confirmation are correct and read the cancellation / booking-modification policy.
- Consider a pre-visit to the Ontario Science Centre Exhibit Halls. This can help in the planning of your school visit and is FREE upon presentation of a copy of your Canadian School Visit Confirmation Letter and your Ontario College of Teachers card or equivalent Teacher ID (excludes separately priced Special Exhibitions) at any ticketing desk.
- Visit the website for current information on special events, exhibits, demonstrations, films, teacher resources and a downloadable Science Centre map. You'll need the free Acrobat Reader to view or print the document.
- Organize your students into groups (A, B, C, D, etc.) as shown on your confirmation itinerary.
- Assign supervisors to students at the required ratio (1:10 for grades JK-8 and 1:15 for grades 9-12).
- Review behaviour expectations for this field trip with your students and supervisors.
- Give a copy of your confirmation letter to each of your supervisors and review the day's itinerary with them, emphasizing which group (A, B, C, D, etc.) they have been assigned.
- Arrange to arrive at the Ontario Science Centre at least 30 minutes prior to start of your first scheduled program / film.
- Bring $1 coins for the coat lockers.
- Bring a school cheque payable to Ontario Science Centre, credit card or cash for full payment.
Many of our school programs are available in French! Call 416-696-3136 or visit our French website for more information.
We also recommend downloading and coping for your supervisors our Tips for a Successful Visit/ Tips for Successful Student Supervision sheets. You'll need the free Acrobat Reader to view or print the document