We’re committed to being an inclusive, accessible and engaging cultural attraction
The Ontario Science Centre is committed to excellence in serving all visitors and staff, including those with disabilities. As an Agency of the Government of Ontario, we’re dedicated to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA): dignity, independence, integration, and equal opportunity.
We will continue to review our business practices and engage staff, visitors and stakeholders to improve accessible service delivery. Our 2020-2025 Multi-Year Accessibility Plan outlines how we will continue to identify, remove and prevent accessibility barriers. For a summary and update on the activities we have undertaken to improve accessible service delivery, please see our 2021 Annual Status Report.
Connecting with Us
- Communication—We strive to maintain an environment for visitors and staff that is mindful and respectful of those with disabilities. We train staff to be respectful in their interactions with all visitors and provide an accessible environment for persons with disabilities.
- Telephone Services—We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone service to our visitors. We train staff to communicate over the telephone using clear and plain language. Telephone: 416-696-1000, Bell Relay Service: 711
Before You Visit
- Website—We’re committed to making our website accessible to visitors and will continue to regularly update our website with new resources and accessible information. We strive to comply with all WCAG standards across our site. Please contact us if there are materials that you are having difficulties accessing, and we will work with you to provide the information in a format that meets your needs.
- Social Stories—A social story is a tool used to model sample social interactions by giving a brief description of a situation using appropriate social cues, the perspectives of others and a recommended appropriate response. We have created a temporary social story to help individuals with disabilities, including neurodevelopmental disorders, prepare for their visit to the Science Centre this summer while there is required maintenance on the building. This story shows what the Science Centre will look like, where the front and rear entrances are and how individuals will get around during their visit. The social story is available for download here.
- Service Animals—We welcome people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal on our premises. We will also ensure that all staff, volunteers and others working with the public are properly trained on how to interact with people with disabilities and their service animals.
- Support Persons—We welcome people with disabilities who are accompanied by a Support Person. A Support Person accompanying a visitor with a disability will be granted free admission to the Science Centre upon disclosure or presentation of a recognized Accessibility card, such as the Easter Seals Disability Travel Card or Access 2 Card. Organizations that serve clients with disabilities are eligible to make bookings for their clients at reduced rates. Visit Community Access to learn more.
- Disruption of Services—If there is a planned or unexpected disruption to our services, we will notify our visitors on our website and in the Centre. The notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration and a description of alternate facilities or services, if available.
- Accessible Emergency Procedures—Our emergency procedures are available to all visitors and staff upon request, including accessible formats of this documentation.
We are committed to serving people who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from the goods and services available on our premises. We will ensure that staff is trained and familiar with various personal assistive devices that may be used by visitors and fellow employees with disabilities while accessing our goods and services.
The Science Centre provides several assistive devices, including:
- Accessible Parking—Designated accessible extra-wide parking spaces are available at the Science Centre’s on-site parking lots.
- Automated Entry Doors—The Ontario Science Centre has automated entry doors at both the main entrance and the school and group entrance.
- Captioning and Assistive Devices—Captioning is available for films presented in the OMNIMAX® Theatre. We also offer a limited quantity of assistive listening devices for viewing films.
- Large Print Guide Maps—Large print guide maps are available to visitors on-site and can also be downloaded here.
- Washrooms—Accessible, Family and Special Needs/All-Gender washrooms are available throughout the Centre.
- Wheelchairs —A limited number of wheelchairs are available to visitors free of charge at the Level 2 Ticket Desk. A limited number of wheelchair seats are available in the OMNIMAX® Theatre.
- Elevator Access—All Science Centre levels are accessible by elevator.
Programming and Film Screenings
- Sensory-friendly Programming and Film Screenings—We offer programming that celebrates neurodiversity throughout the year as well as special sensory-friendly film screenings the first Saturday of every month. Find out more on our Sensory-friendly Saturdays page.
Share Your Feedback
The Ontario Science Centre is committed to engaging persons with disabilities in developing recommendations and strategies to address barriers to participation. We are dedicated to ensuring our offerings meet the diverse needs of our visitors.
If you have any comments or concerns regarding accessibility at the Ontario Science Centre, we invite you to share them with us:
Bell Relay Service: 711
Email: Contact Centre
Ontario Science Centre
770 Don Mills Road
Toronto, ON M3C 1T3
You may also speak to a member of Science Centre staff or management in person during your visit.
All comments, questions and concerns will be responded to in a timely manner. If you have a preference for how we contact you (e.g., phone or email), please specify when you leave your comment.
Contact us | 416-696-1000 or toll-free at 1-888-696-1110